Thursday, January 9, 2014

Another Day Another Dollar

Another day another dollar. That's a statement usually associated with the employed but I am finding it equally applicable on the job hunt. Every day I add another dollar to my emotional bank account.

Over time, it becomes easier and easier to stop doing the things that lead to personal growth. It's nothing to be ashamed of - who has the time? When every morning for a month you've been getting up early researching companies, putting out applications, writing new cover letters and have nothing to show for it what are you supposed to think? Naturally, you think, I better increase my production and find a way to do this thing better. Sharpen the saw before using it.

In Stephen Covey's Seven Habits of Highly Successful People he tells a story that I am quite fond of about lumberjacks clearing a path in the jungle. The lumberjacks are progress-focused so they get up every day and whack away at as many trees as they can until sundown. Conversely, their manager climbs a tree to get some perspective on their project and discovers that the lumberjacks are whacking away in the wrong jungle! When he calls down to the lumberjacks to tell them, they respond: "shut up we're making progress!"

This experience must be very deflating, to the point where choosing ignorance almost seems logical for the lumberjacks. Similarly, after spending an entire month looking for jobs only to find that you have been sending resumes out with an embarrassing typo it's the worst kind of punch in the belly and you just want to pretend it's not true. But like any other challenge, those setbacks can be what teaches you a lesson or what pushes you further away from personal development. The choice should be no choice at all, yet it's amazing how often people still say "shut up" in the name of "progress."

Today I have my first big interview of 2014. Over the past few months I have been focused on getting a job with a media agency, specifically; in sales or media planning. Having a Communications degree is kind of like having a degree that relates to everything but is specific to nothing. In my experience, what makes all the difference is how clear my intentions are and how well I articulate them as they relate to the job in question.

But that's only once you have the interview - the journey to that point is what really challenges you.

Now a few years ago, in all my over-educated wisdom, I would have laughed at the thought of spending time reading self-help books while unemployed. Today's Shawn spends his time reading because it a) is enjoyable, b) challenges and informs and c) empowers all other activities. Much like having a daily workout regimen makes daily tasks easier - due to the benefits it has on your respiratory system and brain functioning - reading is a way to empower your mind for tasks where novel thinking will be helpful. Lastly, and most importantly, devoting time to activities that increase your production capability (physically and mentally) is the best way to ensure that your making the best use of your time when the job hunt makes you feel powerless.

It is also a good idea to service your spiritual side by performing activities that leave you feeling fulfilled, for example; I enjoy writing (blogs, scripts, essays) and the more I do that activity with intention the better I a) feel and b) become at doing it in areas that might lead me on the right path (cover letter). The biggest key for me is to focus on being happy with what I already have, because while the desire to have a job that fulfills you is always going to be in your heart, every day is still a gift and if you focus only on what you want for then future then happiness in the present will always be out of reach. Studies show that happy and positive people - the ones who practice mindfulness and live in the moment - are far more employable for a whole plethora of reasons. Here's some

So anyways, wish me luck on this interview, I hope I get it because it's a great opportunity and I have been preparing for it very hard. That said, I woke up early this morning to do my routine of reading, exercise and spiritual activity so I already feel a dollar richer today. The rest is out of my hands and can only be a good thing, whether I get the job or simply learn from the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment