Friday, January 10, 2014

The Unified Approach

So I had my interview yesterday and I think it went pretty well. The role was in digital media sales for a company that would involve a cross-country move. That's as specific as I am going to get with respect for the organization.

The interview involved a few comprehensive questions about digital media, personal questions and some sales role-play.  While I had prepared the most for the role-play I ended the interview wishing, probably not unlike many people do, that I wished I'd had planned better answers for the personal questions "tell me about yourself." Funny that should be a hard question at this point in my life.

Aside from that, every time I was asked a question by the interviewer I had an answer prepared and delivered it in a manner I am satisfied with...but on that personal, I admit, I rambled. The core answer related back to the job (I'm passionate about media) and was earnest (how that passion has developed in my life) but still caught me off-guard.

Thinking about it from the perspective of the interviewer - it's a great question. In practice for an interview, we each prepare answers that reflect the kind of candidate who employers want to hire. We try to make that the truth, or at least close to it, but that isn't what the interviewer wants to find. They want someone who genuinely is the right candidate, not a great interviewer, and they know how to sniff out the truth.

Upon reflection, I think one of the keys to getting the (right) job (for you) is to know - before you even apply - that this job is a reflection of who you are, what you want to do and (most importantly) what you are capable of being/doing in said job. So many people waste years of their life trying to be something that they just aren't and never will be, which is why so many people end up working jobs that don't make them happy but suffering through it in the name of...god only knows. Maybe if they did they could answer a simple question.

So on that note, I hope I do get this job because its congruent with my career goals, and frankly sounds like an awesome growth experience, but I doubt it will happen. Because when he asked me to close in the role-play I felt exposed, like an actor who had run out of lines. That's a lesson, though I'm not quite clear what I learned yet. So far I'm just sure that I need to spend more time doing what I love rather than just applying to jobs that relate to it. Not jobs that will just pay for a new camera or sound like the right career path.

So I'm going to try and dedicate myself to writing again because that's the one constant my life. It's my truest passion and the one thing that, aside from finding a job to take care of myself, I simply can't NOT do...and something tells me that it's going to get me where I need to go one way or another.

That plus networking, which I will have a lot more time for when I don't spend so much time applying for jobs.


No comments:

Post a Comment